Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Making A Custom Keyboard Part 2

Custom Keyboard Project Summary Page

Okay, I know I said the previous design was the one I would make, but I have not stopped redesigning things. I probably won't stop either. I just keep having better ideas. This latest version throws even more tradition out the window. I have dropped the number of keys down to 46 or 47 (if you don't include the "lock" key. Still not sure about that one.)
Here is a 3D model of the thing, just to give you a taste:


As you can see, the thumb is now much more responsible and the pinkeys have almost nothing to do compared to their old spot. I have also gotten rid of the top number row. HOW? I NEED NUMBERS!!! Don't worry. You can still do everything you used to be able to do. Here is the layout for this new 10.5" x 4.5" x 1.5" Mantis-Hackster:



Now, the basic idea is that you now have two "shift" modes. The regular shift key works like normal on the left thumb (much like the previous design.) This model puts the "fn" key on the left thumb as well, but down a level. Calling it "fn" is now kinda a misnomer as it does so much more. The "fn" key is now like a second shift. This key allows access to a full 10-key and all the symbols found on the outside edges of a normal keyboard. I have optimized it for programmers by having the brackets and parenthesis on the inside columns. Home, End, Page Up, and Page Dn have been combined with their respective arrow keys, which have also been moved. Backspace and delete share a key. Tab and Escape share a key. Yeah, it all makes sense. It is kinda like some phone keyboards, really. You have the regular text shift and then the symbol key. One other nice thing is that the symbols can be arranged according to commonality. (That gives those keyboard layout nuts another thing to argue over.) I picked a layout that seemed to make sense and just figured it was good enough. Symbols aren't that common, after all, so they won't be your bottleneck when it comes to typing.

For those confused about the Lock and macro key:
Lock can lock any set of keys on the keyboard. Hold down lock and then start hitting keys. This button just keeps keys from sending the "key up" message to the computer. When the lock is released, all pressed keys will stay "down" until lock or that key is hit again.
The macro key can just record a set of keystrokes and then play them back over and over. Useful for formatting things. Format one line then just hit replay for the next! I love this feature from some text editors and want it more readily available all the time.
Feel free to change the lock and macro buttons in your own version of this layout. Heck, if I get this all done and release the code for the teensy, you can swap out those keys real easy!

Anyway, here is the NEW price breakdown (price before shipping in parenthesis if there was shipping costs):
- Colored Keycaps: $30 ($25)
- Teensy 2.0: $16 ($19.03)
- Acrylic Case: $40.64
- 50 Cherry MX Blue switches: $61.65 ($46.50) (a few extras just in case)
- 50 (1N4148) Diodes: $1.85
- Cat5 7ft cable (for colored wires): $1.36
- USB 2.0 to Mini-B 5-pin 6ft cable: $1.41
--- (shipping for cat5 and usb2.0 was $5.99 together)
Total costs: $158.90

I am sure the case could be a little cheaper too, but I just took off the extra button costs.

Yay! A little bit cheaper. If this were on massdrop or some other group-buy site, the price would probly be about $120 and come with a more official case. I just found some Gateron switches on massdrop that cost closer to $45 for 120. That could make 2 keyboards. That would make the total above closer to $140. Were this to be made in a real production line, it could probly be made for close to $70-ish. That would be a pretty descent product right there.

Anyway,  I am sure I will tweak things even more as I get closer to making things for real. I now have all the parts but the case supplies. I have those on order and should get them by May 5th, so hang in there.

As a side note for making the case, I am currently a student at BYU and am going through the training stuff to get access to the shop lab. This will allow me to use the laser cutter for making the case. If you don't have a free option like this through a nearby school or library, you may have to get it made for you by someone online. Look around, there are a surprising number of solutions to getting a case made for your keyboard. If worse comes to worst you can always just make one out of wood or cardboard...

Oh, and feedback is always appreciated

No comments:

Post a Comment